The Marion Library was established in 1898 and the present building, endowed by Andrew Carnegie, was built in 1905. The building was expanded in 1975 and totals approximately 5,000 square feet. The Marion, Mullins and Nichols libraries were incorporated into the present county-wide system in 1970. The Mullins Library facility was renovated in 1973, and again in 2016. The Nichols Library was renovated in 1974, and moved to the new City Administrative building in 2015. Our library was the first in the state of South Carolina to offer Bookmobile service beginning in 1913.
The Marion County Library is a county-wide system serving a population of 33,000 through the Marion headquarters library, branches in Mullins and Nichols, and a bookmobile. The library system is affiliated with county government and the Marion County Library Board of Trustees is comprised of 7 members, each representing a County Council District.
The Marion County Library will serve as an essential resource that fosters community connections to the heritage of the past, the opportunities of the present, and the possibilities of the future.
The Marion County Library connects people, information, and ideas to encourage life-long literacy, learning, and leisure pursuits for a thriving community.