Thank you for your interest in Marion County Library. Staffing needs are always subject to review. Job openings are posted here on our website and position openings are advertised in the Marion Star & Mullins Enterprise. If you see a library job posting for which you believe yourself qualified, you may apply by filling out a Marion County Library Application for Employment and bringing it to the Marion Headquarters Library at 101 E. Court Street in Marion.
Note: We require a completed Marion County Library job application. We welcome additional materials such as resumes and recommendations, but these will only be considered as an attachment to a Marion County Library job application form filled out with complete information.
If you are not already a library user, we invite you to become familiar with all Marion County Library has to offer its patrons. Come to the library, get a library card, and reap the benefits. Stay informed about what’s new at the library and keep up-to-date on our programs and services by visiting our website at marioncountylibrary.org and following us on Facebook.
Youth Services Librarian
Would you like to have a job that lets you make use of your puppet voices? Ever thought it would be great to get paid to sing and dance? Do you want to have fun while making a difference in a young person’s life? This is the job for you!
The Youth Services Librarian plans and provides programming, selects materials, performs collection maintenance, coordinates and plans summer reading, trains staff to provide and provides reference services to youth of all ages. This position reports to the Library Director. Duties require independent judgment and action within specific parameters. Puppet voices are encouraged but not required.
This position requires the ability and willingness to travel to any branch in the system. Evening and weekend shifts may be required.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Develops, coordinates, promotes, and presents youth programming and outreach, with particular attention to early literacy.
- Creates and coordinates displays for youth across three branches.
- Supervises youth services assistant, ensuring consistent quality of outreach services.
- Participates in library planning and committees.
- Staffs and supervises service desks as needed, answers reference questions, and provides readers’ advisory services to all ages.
- Provides instruction for patrons in the use of library catalog and databases, internet, and basic office software such as word processors and spreadsheets.
- Assists in troubleshooting technology problems for public and staff, including issues with smartphones, tables, e-readers, computer applications, and library software.
- Represent the library to community groups, schools, and other groups relevant to position.
- Evaluate and prioritize the needs of the library’s youth services on a regular basis, and reports these needs to the Director.
- Keeps current with information, news, and trends in youth services librarianship.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Masters in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program, or an equivalent combination of training and experience in public libraries.
- Experience developing and implementing programs and activities for children and young adults.
- Familiarity with library best practices for providing youth services.
- Public library experience working with children and young adults, or any combination of training, experience, and education relevant to the essential duties of this position.
- Valid SC driver’s license (can be obtained within the first 6 months of hire).
Personal transportation that can be used for business travel is required.
- Masters in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program.
- One year of public library experience as a youth services librarian.
- Supervisory experience is strongly preferred, particularly supervisory experience in a public library.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Skills or experience in one or more of the following areas: IT support, ILL, grant writing, fluency in Spanish, peer training, web site maintenance, graphic design, marketing, social media.
This position ranges from $28,000 to 34,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Compensation package includes generous health care benefits (100% covered by employer for the employee, partial coverage for dependents/spouse), paid leave, and support for professional development. Participation in state retirement plan is required.
Interested applicants should submit an application for employment, resume, cover letter, and unofficial transcripts to:
Holly Evans, Director
Marion County Library System
101 E Court Street
Marion, SC 29571
Application form can be found at:
Applications should be postmarked by January 3, 2019 for consideration.
About the Marion County Library System and Marion County, South Carolina
Enjoy low cost-of-living within easy driving distance of Myrtle Beach, SC. Marion County (pop. 33,062) is a beautiful county in northeastern South Carolina, located about 50 miles from the SC coast. The library system serves an active community, and has three locations and a bookmobile: the main branch is located in Marion, SC with additional branches in Mullins, SC and Nichols, SC.
The Marion County Library System is an equal opportunity employer.