Thank you for your interest in Marion County Library. Staffing needs are always subject to review. Job openings are posted here on our website and position openings are advertised in the Marion Star & Mullins Enterprise. If you see a library job posting for which you believe yourself qualified, you may apply by filling out a Marion County Library Application for Employment and bringing it to the Marion Headquarters Library at 101 E. Court Street in Marion.
Note: We require a completed Marion County Library job application. We welcome additional materials such as resumes and recommendations, but these will only be considered as an attachment to a Marion County Library job application form filled out with complete information.
If you are not already a library user, we invite you to become familiar with all Marion County Library has to offer its patrons. Come to the library, get a library card, and reap the benefits. Stay informed about what’s new at the library and keep up-to-date on our programs and services by visiting our website at marioncountylibrary.org and following us on Facebook.
The Outreach Coordinator promotes the library system at community events or to community groups through programming for all ages, Bookmobile services, and event attendance. In addition to maintaining the functionality and appearance of the Bookmobile and Outreach vehicle, the Outreach Coordinator is also responsible for cultivating and maintaining the Bookmobile collection, cultivating community partnerships, and assisting with in-house assignments as needed. This position reports to the Director of the library system, supervises up to two part-time employees, and works closely with the Youth and Adult Services Librarians. The position requires that the Outreach Coordinator fill in at the branches when necessary. The Outreach Coordinator is required to assist patrons of all ages in the use of library resources and in the use of technology, including but not limited to: smartphones, tablets, e-readers, internet, email, and office applications.
Night and weekend shifts are required as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide out-of-house programming to patrons of all ages.
- Identify opportunities for community partnerships or Library promotions, in collaboration with other library staff.
- Create and maintain the bookmobile schedule.
- Develop and distribute marketing material for the bookmobile, as approved by the Library Director.
- Collecting and reporting community feedback.
- Ensure that the bookmobile gets all service checkups, and brings any maintenance needs to the Library Director.
- Drive the bookmobile and outreach vehicle to locations throughout the county.
- Maintain the bookmobile’s collection and swap out materials as needed.
- Staff the service desk at any location assigned as needed.
- Assist patrons with technology issues.
- Assist patrons in the use of library resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associates degree or higher, or a combination of education, experience, and training relevant to the position.
- Library experience in public services
- Proficiency in standard office applications, such as Word, Excel, and Publisher.
- Customer service experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to drive large vehicles.
- SC Driver’s License (CDL is not required.)
Personal transportation that can be used for business travel is required.
- The ability to perceive and discriminate visual cues or signals at least 100% of the time.
- The ability to communicate verbally in English at least 100% of the time.
- Must be physically able to operate a variety of equipment including computers and hand-held scanners.
- Must be able to maneuver/lift 50 pounds of library materials.
- Must be able to shelve materials on shelves from ankle level up to about head level.
- Must be able to operate telephones, including a smart phone.
- Must be able to stand and sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to rapidly and repeatedly climb and descend steps of bookmobile.
- Requires the ability to reach and grasp materials located in all areas of the bookmobile.
- Requires the ability to read, write and speak effectively in standard English.
- Requires the ability to deal with people effectively when confronted with persons acting under stress.
- Requires driving and working year round in a bookmobile and outreach that has heat/air conditioning.
- Requires participating in community events that take place outside.
- Requires daily travel around the county and loading/unloading materials and equipment in all kinds of weather and climatic conditions.
- Foundational knowledge of vehicle maintenance.
- Familiarity with the ILS system Polaris.
- Background in programming for all ages.
- Previous experience working with children and/or adults in an educational setting.
- Experience, training, or skills in one or more of the following areas: office applications, graphic design, readers advisory, SC historical research, genealogy research, working knowledge ILS backend (such as Polaris).
This position pays in the range of $15-18/hr, commiserate with experience, for an average of 24-28 hours per week. Participation in the state retirement plan is required.
About the Marion County Library System and Marion County, South Carolina
Marion County (pop. 33,062) is a beautiful rural county in northeastern South Carolina, located about 50 miles from the SC coast. The library system serves an active community, and has three locations and a bookmobile: the main branch is located in Marion, SC with additional branches in Mullins, SC and Nichols, SC.
Interested applicants should submit an application for employment, resume, ten year driving record and two letters of reference to:
Holly Evans, Director
Marion County Library System
101 E Court Street
Marion, SC 29571
Application form can be found at:
The Marion County Library System is an equal opportunity employer.
Position open until filled.