Thank you for your interest in Marion County Library. Staffing needs are always subject to review. Job openings are posted here on our website and position openings are advertised in the Marion Star & Mullins Enterprise. If you see a library job posting for which you believe yourself qualified, you may apply by filling out a Marion County Library Application for Employment and bringing it to the Marion Headquarters Library at 101 E. Court Street in Marion.
Note: We welcome added materials such as resumes, employment histories, course certificates, and recommendations, but they will only be considered as an attachment to a Marion County Library Employment Application filled out with complete information.
If you are not already a library user, you are invited to become familiar with all Marion County Library has to offer its patrons. Come to the library, get a library card, and reap the benefits. Stay informed about what’s new at the library and keep up-to-date on our programs and services by visiting our website at marioncountylibrary.org.
Youth Services Assistant, full time
Under the direction of the Youth Services Librarian, the Youth Services Assistant helps to plan and implement programming for youth of all age groups. The Youth Services Assistant also provides bookmobile services, and circulation services as needed.
This position requires the ability and willingness to travel to any branch in the system. Evening and weekend shifts are required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in planning and implementing programming and special events for youth services.
- Shelving and straightening of youth areas.
- Drive the bookmobile on a rotating schedule.
- Staff the circulation desk when requested.
- Assist patrons with technology issues.
- Assist patrons in the use of library resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree or higher, or a combination of education, experience, and training relevant to the position.
- Customer service experience in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to relate and connect with youth.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Ability to drive large vehicles.
- SC Driver’s License.
Personal transportation that can be used for business travel is required.
- Previous library experience, or library coursework.
- Previous experience working with children in an educational setting.
This position starts at $8.00/hour, commensurate with experience, with generous healthcare benefits. Participation in the state retirement plan is required.
Processing Assistant (Part-time) New position
The Processing Assistant prepares library materials for circulation and for removal from the collection under the supervision of the Technical Services Assistant. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ensure that all library materials are correctly stamped, labeled, and appropriately reinforced.
- Perform minor repair work such as page and spine repair, or disc cleaning.
- Checking in new materials prior to processing.
- Distribute new materials to their assigned locations for review and cataloging.
- Prepare materials for deselection.
- Other duties as assigned.
All staff are expected to train for circulation desk duties. This position includes desk shifts, depending upon staffing needs. This position works primarily in the Marion library, but may be scheduled to work in any branch of the library.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Strong attention to detail and good hand-eye coordination.
- Customer service experience.
- SC Driver’s license (within the first 6 months of hire).
- Previous public library experience in technical services or processing is strongly preferred.
- Previous public library experience in a service position and working knowledge of Polaris is desirable.
- Familiarity with an ILS such as Polaris is desirable.
Starts at $8.00/hr. Participation in the state retirement plan is required.