On January 13, 1898, the secretary of state issued a charter to C. A. Woods, H.C. Graham, W. Murchison, E.H. Byars, H.W. McLucas, S.W. Norwood, W.J. Montgomery, and J.W. Johnson, petitioners, to establish a corporation to be known as the “Marion Public Library,” the purpose of which was to be the “improvement of the moral, social, and intellectual condition of the people of Marion County.”
Click on the links below to find out more:
The Beginnings of Marion Library – Information about how Marion Library got its start.
Marion Library History – A detailed history of the Library and its constituent contributing organizations (back to the 1800s.)
Marion Library NRHP Application – Marion Library’s original application to the National Registry of Historical Places can be accessed via the link below. The form dates back to 1978 and includes detailed information about the architecture of the area, plans for the library, educational data, and much, much more!