We have all been affected by Covid-19 in different ways. Some of us have become one with our couch, some have taken up gardening, others of us have become experts at video games and learned more about wild animals. Most of us are missing our friends and some have lost family members. We’ve seen empty shelves in stores and neighborhoods full of teddy bears in the windows. What we haven’t seen is your unique perspective. Your challenge is to write a poem about your experiences during quarantine.
Don’t worry! It doesn’t have to rhyme. Some of the most famous poems ever written do not even rhyme at all.
Here’s a neat website about poetry to get the ideas flowing: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/learn/children
- Child must be a student between grades 3 – 12 and a current resident of Marion County, SC.
- The poem must be written by the child/student named on the submission form.
- Only one entry per student, please.
- Entries must be submitted by 6:00 pm on Friday May 29. No exceptions will be made.
- 1st place winners will be awarded a $20 Walmart Gift Card
- 2nd place: winners will be awarded a $10 Walmart Gift Card
- 3rd place: winners will be awarded a $5 Walmart Gift Card
First, Second, and Third Place winners will be selected for the following groups:
- Grades 3-5,
- Grades 6-8,
- Grades 9-12.
If you are interested in submitting a poem, please review the contest requirements*, register, and submit your poem here.
Submissions are accepted from Friday May 1, 2020 to Friday, May 29, 2020. All entries must be submitted by 6:00 p.m. on Friday, May 29, 2020.
Winners will be notified by phone or email and announced on Facebook on Friday, June 5, 2020.